Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Pretty Good Start

I think when a couple got engaged at the tailgate next to us before yesterday's home opener, we all knew we were in for something special. I'm not making that up either; as we were flipping some hot Italian sausages on the mini-Weber, we heard a bit of a commotion at the tailgate next to us (which really put us to shame, they had enough food to feed a small Filipino village). I have somewhat of a sixth sense for proposals at Pittsburgh sporting events, so I was all over it and was able to snag a few pictures. Oh, yeah, and she said yes.

But what a game. Recap here, here, and here. I'm with everyone else, it's just one game, it was against Vincente Padilla (which, according to ESPN insider wasn't such a bad idea against the Bucs; we now beg to differ), and there were definitely some concerns (seeing eye-singles against Duke because of the lack of infield range, D.J. Carrasco's lackluster control, and Andy LaRoche's day in general), but that would be nitpicking. I'm just going to try and enjoy this while it lasts, which would be until the next game (Wednesday at 7:05).

After the game, the Tall Guy asked me what I took away from the game; my final verdict. It was nice to see the Pirates show some patience at the plate (I really like how ESPN's box score now have the total number of pitches faced) and some power, but in particular; Lastings driving the ball to the opposite field with force... twice, and Cutch putting a dent in the center-field wall in his last at bat.

I'm looking forward to Wednesday's game, especially to see how guys like Clement and Jones do against a pretty good lefty in Clayton Kershaw.

But more than anything, what an amazing atmosphere for the home opener. It certainly helped that it was a gorgeous day, but the place was packed and people were into it. It just goes to show how starved the people of Pittsburgh are for meaningful games past May 1st. And it's also why I support the current management, because if they stay the course, I think they can make it happen, which will be the best thing that could possibly happen to the city of Pittsburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment