Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Olympics

I found this when I google imaged "Olympics". That has to be the coolest Olympic logo I've seen since Stephen Colbert teamed up with Shepard Fairey for this little beauty.

There's been a lot going on, so I'm just gonna ramble ferrabit.

The opening ceremonies would have been much cooler if I was still 18, and smoked a ton of weed. But unfortunately, I had to grow up, so it just didn't do it for me. The Canadian "stars" they brought out was like a flashback to a Lilith Fair from 1995, which included that Asian guy named k.d. lang. Also, Donald Sutherland made me wonder about the guy who plays Jack Bauer; Kiefer isn't even a hafey, he's completely Canadian! Actually, he was born in England and his full name is Kiefer William Fredrick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland. I feel duped.

How awesome is curling? So awesome that my buddy Trevor called me last night, ecstatic that he just joined the Columbus Curling Club. I've already found my calling... It's the perfect drinking/sporting activity, you don't even need a cooler, you just put your beer down on the ice. As for the actual event, besides America's choking skipper and then the following two wins, Honorary US Captain & Fantasy Football Frustrater Vernon Davis, and just watching the Danish Women's curling team... Curling rocks.

So, am I the only one who is more impressed by Shani Davis than Apolo Anton Ohno? Yeah, Ohno has won six medals (while going for seven tonight) and two golds, but one of those golds was because of a disqualification, and his first medal in this Olympics was given to him because a couple Koreans got greedy and took each other out. I don't know, it's impressive, don't get me wrong, but Shani Davis has won two golds in just two Olympics, along with a silver, and he still has another event to go (tonight).

I understand all the hype: Ohno wears a bandana, he's got a sweet flavor savor, he skates on a short track (much more exciting than Davis on the long track), he has this Earl/Tiger relationship with his father, he hangs out in a shack near the coast, and he's got an awesome name. But Davis has won an equal amount of Golds (which is where it's at for me), and has a much more compelling story. Son of a single mother, african-american, and he's one of the best speed-skaters in the world? That's easy.

As much as I like seeing Sid succeed at whatever he does, I don't want Mike Richards to win a gold. So I'm definitely pulling for the US tomorrow. As for Sid, I think it's a bit unfair that if Canada does not win the gold, then he will be to blame, despite the fact that he's one of the younger members on the team. That would be like blaming Jozy Altidore if the US doesn't make it out of the group stages in this summer's World Cup. But I guess that's what comes with being the Kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment